Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pokemon Card of the Day: Alakazam (Base Set)

Today's Pokemon Card of the Day is an old school card, it is Alakazam which was the first card in the first set ever made in the U.S. Alakazam is card number one in the base set of Pokemon that came out over 10 years ago now, I know you can't play this card unless you are in an unlimited format but I have had some requests to do some older cards so I thought I would. So here goes...Alakazam is a stage 2, psychic type Pokemon card with an hp of 80. It has a x2 weakness to psychic type Pokemon, no resistance type, and a retreat cost of 3 colorless energy cards. Alakazam's Pokemon Power is called Damage Swap and this was a good Poke-Power back in the day it allows you to move one damage counter from one of your Pokemon to another Pokemon as often as you like during a turn as long as you don't knock that Pokemon out. Alakazam's only move is called Confuse Ray and this move requires three psychic energy cards and this move only does 30 damage but it also confuses the defending Pokemon if you get a heads when you flip a coin. As far as strategy goes I would definitely get Alakazam on my bench as soon as possible so you could move damage counters around and then when I did get Alakazam in it is really straightforward since it only has one move. If I were to rate this card compared to today's standards it wouldn't get more than a one so I will not rank this card but I will tell a memory I have of this card, I remember in 5th grade I was so happy that I finally got a Blastoise which was the 2nd best card besides Charizard and then the next day in school I traded that Blastoise for a Alakazam and Gloom card, it wasn't a good deal at all I regretted it so much but now I have both of those cards so it is okay. So thanks for reading today's review of Alakazam from Base Set stay tuned for tomorrow's review of Gengar Prime from the Lost Link set.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best combo when back when was using Alakazam in combo with Tentacool. Use Alakazams Damage Swap to put damage on Tentacool the use Tentacools Cowardice to bounce tentacool to your hand! So the only way for an opponent to knock out pokemon is if they one shot it.